83,000 employees worldwide
£10 billion turnover
Why work for M&S?
Joining M&S means so much more than working for one of the nation’s largest retailers. We’ve built our business on a passion for excellence, a flexible approach in all that we do and by collaborating with one another to put customers first. There’s a sense of camaraderie here; a feeling of belonging – probably because we go out of our way to listen to and involve all of our people. And because we want to be the best, we want you to be your best. The size and scope of our business means that the opportunities on offer are as diverse as the people that work here. If you’re ready to play your part, you’ll be richly rewarded too. From competitive salaries, bonus schemes and flexible working options to opportunities to volunteer in the community, there really is something for everyone.
When Michael Marks and Tom Spencer joined forces to create M&S in 1894, not even they could have foreseen the global success story that was to unfold. From its humble beginnings as a Leeds market stall, M&S is now an international, multi-channel retailer. Our success is in large part due to our guiding principles:
- Inspiration – generating new ideas that excite our customers, enthuse our people and enhance our business.
- Innovation – focusing on continuous improvement, pushing boundaries and encouraging experimentation.
- Integrity – doing the right thing, not the easy thing; building trust and reinforcing our reputation.
- In Touch – understanding what’s important to our customers, the communities in which we work and our colleagues.
We’re now one of the nation’s leading sellers of clothing, food, home products, financial services – and M&S Digital, our e-commerce business, is rapidly expanding too. Our annual turnover is £10 billion and we have a presence in some 59 territories worldwide. In the UK, we have over 900 stores, employ more than 83,000 people and serve over 33 million customers each week.
Rewards and benefits
At M&S we feel it’s vital that our people are well rewarded. So when you say yes to M&S, we’ll give you access to a highly competitive total reward package that’s proven to attract, motivate and retain the best people. We’re constantly reviewing the details of the package to make sure it’s got everything our people want in a benefits scheme, but the things you’ll be able to enjoy currently include:
- Pay – We regularly check our salaries against other companies to make sure we’re competitive and keeping up with changes in the market. We’ll also review your basic pay every year, plus we offer extra performance rewards to recognise individual achievements.
- Employee discount – You’ll get 20% discount on all in-store and online purchases. Some exclusions do apply but there’s no limit on the amount of goods you can buy with discount. What’s more, we’ll give a partner or family member who permanently lives with you the discount too!
- Holidays – You are entitled to a minimum of 28 days’ statutory holiday per year. Obviously, if you work part-time this will be pro-rated.
- Bonus – When we do well financially, we want our people to feel the benefit too. So we have a number of discretionary bonus schemes on offer that reward our employees for helping us to reach our goals.
- Pension – Nowadays, we’re all aware of how important it is to save for our retirement. At M&S, we want to help you along the way. This is why we offer an excellent Defined Contribution pension plan, where if you contribute 3% of your pay M&S will contribute 6%. For full details visit www.yourmandspension.com.
- Life Assurance – From day one, you’ll receive life assurance cover to the value of two times your annual pensionable salary.
- Sharesave – Sharesave is a simple way to save. You put aside any amount between £5 and £250 each month for three years. At the end of three years you can use your savings to buy M&S shares at a 20% discount – or simply get your savings back. We’ll be sending everyone who has been with us for at least three months an invitation to join Sharesave in October, so watch out for it.
- Sharebuy – Sharebuy helps you buy M&S shares on a monthly basis direct from your gross salary. You can invest as little as £10 and as much as £150 – or up to 10% of your gross monthly salary, whichever is the lower. By doing this, you’ll pay less Income Tax and National Insurance each month as well as building up an investment. Once you have been with us for three months you’ll be eligible to join and we’ll send you an invite to your home address. You can join then, or at a later date that suits you.
- Salary Sacrifice – Join one of our Salary Sacrifice schemes, covering holiday buying, car leasing and cycle to work and you could save money on tax and National Insurance.
- Discounts – It’s not just in-store where you can benefit from generous discounts. When you join, you can take advantage of over 1,500 special discounts covering holidays, leisure attractions and many more products and services.
- Heath & Wellbeing – At M&S your wellbeing is a big priority, and we want you to be the best you can be. That’s why we’ll offer you discounted healthcare products and a wellbeing website with top tips and health guides, to keep you fighting fit.
- Charity Volunteer Day – When you join, you’ll have the opportunity to volunteer for one day at a charity of your choice.